Associate Degree in Medical Laboratory
- Length of the program: 3 years ( including one non- credit semester)
On successful completion of 73 credits, the students would be eligible for the award of Associate Degree in Medical Lab Technology
Click on the Title below to view the details, or
to show all
Advances in modern medicine have led to an increase in the demand for accurately
performed clinical laboratory diagnosis and prognosis of a patient's condition.
The importance and complexity of the lab tests require well-trained, competent technicians.
The Medical Laboratory Technology program (MLT) provides opportunity for students
to apply scientific principles in solving case study problems, thereby preparing
them to assume their critical responsibilities. Graduates of this program will be
prepared to perform lab tasks assigned by the medical technologist, the pathologist
or the physician. These tasks include the preparation of specimens, and performance
of all routine lab tests as well as some special laboratory procedures in the areas
of clinical chemistry, hematology, microbiology, serology, parasitology, blood bank,
histology and cytology. The curriculum provides students with a foundation in the
general sciences, including biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology. As well
as English and human relation courses. During the 2nd and 3rd year students focus
on all aspects of the medical lab technology curriculum. Students attend classroom
lectures and practical sessions in the college lab. The lab practices are completed
in professional hospital, health centers and public health labs. Students must earn
73 credit hours in order to graduate.
- To provide the student with the necessary academic background and clinical training,
enabling student to achieve the recognized standards of competence which would be
expected from a medical lab technician
- To offer the learning of the fundamental lab sciences, hematology, blood bank, clinical
chemistry, immunology, serology, parasitology and body fluid analysis
- To facilitate adequate appropriate and applied training in the practical aspects
of the above listed disciplines
- To provide an opportunity through the application of sound basic scientific principles
of problem solving and case studies, for students to recognize their critical responsibilities
based on sound scientific knowledge and logical thinking
- To create a critical mass of competent and specialized allied health professionals,
for the provision of better health care service for their community
- To encourage the MLT student towards self- evaluation and self improvement
- Apply specified precautions to maintain a safe laboratory environment.
- Operate, calibrate, and maintain instruments in the various sections of the laboratory
with acceptable professional standards.
- Prepare accurately, the various reagents, solutions, stains and culture media used
in the clinical laboratory.
- Store the various reagents, solutions, stains, culture media properly.
- Sterilize glassware and apparatus used to perform laboratory procedures.
- Collect capillary and venous blood specimens perfectly.
- Receive and properly handle specimens and requests for laboratory examinations.
- Perform, accurately according to given specified procedure the various tests needed
- Hematology examinations
- Routine urine analysis
- Biochemical examinations to determine the usual biochemical constituents of blood
and other body fluids
- Microbiological examinations, specifically to identify pathogens in a given specimen.
- Seminal fluid analysis
- Parasitology examinations for body fluids and excreta
- Serological examinations.
- Collect and screen blood donors.
- Receive and prepare specimens for histological and cytological examination.
- Analyze and interpret results obtained from the above mentioned examinations.
- Report, register and file test results.
- Label and file specimen to be retained.
- Disinfect and discard un-needed specimens taking into consideration the necessary
You are going to study 6 semesters in the MLT program. The first semester will be
a foundation semester, in which you are going to study Biology, English plus introduction
to Health profession that introduce you to the different health profession. The
mission, different specialties, team work, case study are included in the course.
In the 2nd semester, 2 professional courses: instrumentation and fundamental of
lab Technology will introduce you to the MLT world, different department, universal
safety precautions, as well as different glassware and instruments used in the lab.
In the 3rd, 4th and 5th semesters, you are going to study in depth both theory and
practical all the courses that equipped you to perform different lab tests in the
following lab departments: Microbiology, Clinical chemistry, Hematology, Serology,
Blood bank, Histology & Cytology and Parasitology. The last two semesters, you will
be given the chance to correlate the theory with supervised clinical experience
at affiliated medical lab. The clinical setting will include, University hospital
(SMC), health centers and public health labs.